Regnard and I (current and former Mozilla Reps council members!) are planning what we think will be a really exciting event. We’re calling it Open Web Open Mic.
It will be a social and networking event open to everyone in the Toronto area that does something with or for the Open Web. The format will be a combination Science Fair and short talks. For the first one we’re planning on giving people 5 minutes each to present, for a total of 10 speakers. There are no restrictions on the presentation style, it can be a pecha kucha, a demo, a song! Before and after will be a MozFest style Science Fair for interactive demos that attendees can check out as well as social time with a little bit of drinks and snacks.
We have two main goals for this event
- To help us stay more connected in terms of what each other are working on, within the Toronto Mozilla office as well as the rest of the Toronto tech community
- To try and promote Mozilla as Toronto’s hub for all things Open Web
What we need from you
- Speakers! Is your team doing something interesting that you’d like to tell everyone about? Are you working on something that you’d like buy in or collaboration from others in Toronto? Do you have a friend that works on another project that you think would benefit from speaking?
- Science Fair exhibits! Are you working on something interactive? Know someone who is? So long as it’s interactive and relates to the Open Web it’s ok. For example this might be a good chance to test user reaction to a new feature you’re working on.
- Feedback, any help running this event would be very welcome!
- The first Open Web Open Mic will be held in the community space, currently scheduled for
Wednesday March 27th. Update! Date is Wednesday April 10th.
- Discussion is taking place on the Canada community mailing list – http://www.mozilla.org/about/
forums/#community-canada– but please feel free to email Regnard and I directly or comment here
- Eventbrite to go up once the date officially confirmed, will share on @moztoronto and Mozillians Toronto Facebook page. Update! Eventbrite is up!
Thanks all, hope to see you there!